Thursday, May 10, 2012

live below the line... day 4

As I write, I am savouring every last mouthful of a jam doughnut which my sugar-craving housemate had sourced for 30p for 5 from the reduced aisle of Morrisons this evening.  We worked out we had around 50p left between the three of us and that was quite possibly the best use of our funds.

I think I am getting used to it now - whether mentally or physically - or both - I don't know!  I have been rather chirpy compared to how I was on Tuesday, when I was tempted to give up and envisaged my housemate coming home to find me in a sugar induced coma surrounded by sweet wrappers with melted chocolate smeared across my face.

My stomach seemed to go a lot longer without rumbling, and I wasn't craving crisps anywhere near as much.

So, today's menu, not much of a change really; porridge and a coffee for breakfast; two rich tea biscuits mid-morning; lunch was broth, toast, an apple and two rich teas; mid afternoon I moved on to two chocolate chip biscuits; dinner was pasta and tomato sauce again.  And of course the doughnuts.  I think all this was about 95p. 

Again, the amount of waste we throw away has been at the forefront of my mind today.  I am so, so aware that if I don't eat what's in front of me, there will be nothing else.  I scrape every bowl till the pattern is coming off!  I even caught myself licking my finger to pick up the biscuit crumbs from my desk today...

And the other thing that I've thought about quite a bit is the community doing it - the online community on twitter on the hashtag #belowtheline is great - it's brilliant to see that so many people are striving to improve the lives of people they have never met even a tiny bit.  It's also fun to see what other people are eating, and how they are feeling, and know that you are not the only one suffering form lack of concentration, or boredom from food, or a caffeine-withdrawal headache!  Perhaps more though, has been the community of the three of us doing it; my housemate and our friend round the corner being the other two.  We've eaten at each other's houses where possible, we've shopped together and worked it all out together, they fed me when I was suffering from The Hunger Gap, we've supplied each other with encouragement and solidarity and doughnuts!

Only one day to go... whoop!!

No comments:

Post a Comment